Friday 10 March 2017

Audible Book: Neptune's Inferno - Guadalcanal WW2 Pacific 1942-43

The naval aspect of WWII in the Pacific keeps drawing me in. If Midway was a critical hinge then Guadalcanal seemed to be point where "the turning of the tide" inexorably moved the way of the Allies (or at this point the US). Attritional in nature, intense, with both sides making numerous terrible mistakes of strategic and tactical, new technology (such as radar) both used to good effect and terrible inept "missed opportunities" the outcome was never pre-destined, but the US prevailed. Neptune's Inferno was a good but terrifying read (see below):


I need to dig out my copy of "The Tokyo Express" and get back to painting those 1/3000 Navwar ships!

3 comments:

Soldaten said...

Got to get this one on Audible. Audio books have replaced talk radio for me...now I learn something while I drive, or at least I get entertainment that doesn't make me angry.

Soldaten said...

Must get this one for the car!

Geordie an Exiled FoG said...

Totally agree